What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?

"Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is generally described as unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids."

Quoted from the HER Foundation Website
www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum/

Friday, August 6, 2010

BFTT

My boys seem to be pros when it comes to the BFTT or the Big Fat Temper Tantrum. How does a child learn this? Is there some secret society where all children gather together and decide just how and in what situations this is to be performed? If so, what is the name of that society? The Secret Art of Getting Your Own Way In Spite of Your Parents? I think we parents need to band together and form our own society. We could call it the Child Chronicles - Learning How Your Child Thinks and Why They Act The Way They Do. Yes, a bit wordy but something to think about and consider.

My two year old is a veritable master at the temper tantrum. If there is such a secret society, he is one of the leaders. He has this down to an art form - first comes the eye scrunch, then the mouth quivers in rage, the fists ball up, then comes the back arch and the dramatic 'fall' to the floor while the little person voices his displeasure. It doesn't seem to matter that he knows he is not allowed to throw one or that he will inevitable be punished for doing so. All that matters to him in that moment is getting his point across - that he disapproves of whatever it is I have told him to do or not to do. I will say this for him, he is getting better at not throwing them but I think it will be awhile before they disappear completely.

My youngest is taking lessons from his older brother. Or has been going faithfully to those meetings, I'm not sure which. He discovered the back arch this past week and has been putting all his energy into perfecting it. He has been a bit cranky due to teething and I think those two go hand in hand. At 6 months old he can throw a BFTT that almost rivals his brother. It's scary. My sweet tempered little guy is trying to exert his 'Independence' - it's so cute that he thinks he actually has some. I guess it happens to every child at some point, that need to have your own opinion. I just didn't expect it so soon.

Next on Child Chronicles, Would You Like Some Cheese With That Whine?

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious. So true! My middle child could throw a mean BFTT by the age of one!

    ReplyDelete