What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?

"Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is generally described as unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids."

Quoted from the HER Foundation Website
www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum/

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Modified Fry-The-Egg-On-The-Sidewalk Experiment


While my computer was down and was being fixed it was extremely hot here. A good ole Wisconsin heat wave. So I decided to do a little experiment. One of my favorite movies is Father of the Bride 2 - the one where both Annie and her mom and pregnant at the same time. In one of the scenes it showed some kids frying an egg on the sidewalk. It was to illustrate the point that their babies were born during a heat wave. Even though a California heat wave and a Wisconsin heat wave are slightly different - and by slightly I actually mean vastly - I thought why not try that here? It was 90 degrees after all so it had a chance of working, right?



First I got an egg. Just a regular, uncooked egg from my refrigerator.

I then put a pan on the sidewalk because let's face it, raw eggs are messy. That is why I am calling this the 'modified' egg experiment. I let it sit in the sun for about 10 minutes so it could heat up a bit before I put in the egg.



After it was nice and toasty (I felt it, it was VERY toasty) I cracked the egg open and put it in the pan.



Then I waited. And waited. And waited. And waited.



After about 30 minutes or so I declared the experiment a failure. The only thing the egg did was get a little dry around the edges. Very gross. So I threw the egg out and washed the pan. End of experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment