What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?

"Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is generally described as unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids."

Quoted from the HER Foundation Website
www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum/

Monday, July 19, 2010

Big Boy Underpants

Potty training is not for the squeamish or the faint of heart. It is, so far, the most challenging part of parenting. Except maybe for labor. Yeah, it's definitely better than labor. Maybe.

It's that time of month again, the time when I grit my teeth, drag out the big boy underpants, and attempt to potty train my 2 year old. He's been in training since the end of March. Each time I start out strong, enthusiastically talking to W about going potty in the 'big boy potty chair', trying to get him excited about this new chapter in his life. He seems excited, sits for a few minutes, dances happily that he is wearing his underpants, then promptly gets up and used my floor as his little boy toilet. After a few times of this the enthusiasm dwindles. A day or two later I give up on the whole idea and drag out the diapers. Then a few weeks later I decide that having two kids in diapers is not my thing and we begin the process all over again. The idea of letting his college roommate train him is beginning to look very tantalizing. I'm sure he won't mind. What better way of getting to know one's roommate? It would be a good bonding experience.

Yesterday started out in the same way. Out came the big boy underpants, out came the potty chair, and with a heavy yet hopeful heart I started The Process. A couple hours into it, nothing. Not even a dribble. So I gave W a glass of milk and waited expectantly. W didn't disappoint. The Big Moment came and I rushed him to the bathroom. Once again he didn't make it. In the Battle of Potty Training, the score had reached Floor - umpteenth times to Potty Chair - 3 times. Thoughts of quitting a day early enter my head... then, another Big Moment! And this time there were THREE WHOLE DROPS IN THE POTTY CHAIR!!! We celebrated those three drops like peeing was going out of style. W received his promised cake and the offer of his favorite movie (which at this time is Disney's Cinderella). And then, Something Big Happened. I'm talking change-your-life, dance-for-joy-in-the-streets big. A true training success - and not just three drops. With that, my hope is restored and my determination renewed. For now anyway. That was yesterday, who knows what today may bring but for now the college roommate is off the hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment