What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?

"Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is generally described as unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids."

Quoted from the HER Foundation Website
www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum/

Saturday, July 17, 2010

My Introduction

My very first blog post!!

I guess this is where I introduce myself and why on earth I decided to enter the great world of blogging. To begin, my name is Hannah. Very popular now, not so when my parents named me. They thought that they were giving me a 'unique' name. Haha. I don't mind though, I rather like my name.

I am an HG survivor. Actually, a two time survivor. By this point you are probably scratching your head and wondering what HG is and if it's catching. Don't worry, it's not. And all you males out there will never be able to get it. Lucky you. But I digress. HG is short for Hyperemesis Gravidarum, which is an extreme form of morning sickness. In a nutshell it means you have constant nausea and vomiting, sometimes throughout the entire pregnancy. Some have likened it to having food poisoning for nine months. Very few women get it but those do tend to get it every pregnancy. It means IVs, medication, and for some hospitalization. For me personally it only involves the first two - I have never been hospitalized. I have been able to go off of my medication around the beginning of the third trimester with both my pregnancies. I feel grateful for this and for the fact that, while I am completely miserable, I am not nearly as sick as some women I know.

I am married to the most wonderful man in the world. Our 4 year anniversary is coming up this month. He works hard so I can stay home with our two boys, who are 21 months apart. Being a mom is and always has been my dream 'job'. While I love being a mom and love having them so close together life can be a little busy. OK, very busy. But I still love it. Ty is 2 and Mac is 5 months (just a note here: my hardest pregnancy thus far has been Mac's. I was still nauseated and throwing up 3 months AFTER he was born. I have many food aversions still, for example I can no longer eat tater tots. Just an interesting tidbit for you).

I wanted to start this blog is to help other women in my situation, answer any questions regarding HG and how it has affected my family, to blog about my future pregnancies, and to let other people know about HG.

For more information on HG (Hyperemesis Gravidarum) please go to helpher.org.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I'm so excited to have found your blog and completely understand. Currently going through HG again with baby #2 and have had the works. Second baby has been 2x as hard, but with July coming so close it's been wonderful to see a very small light at the end of a very dark tunnel. Thank you for sharing your story!

    Chloe Mission

    ReplyDelete